CVM Mentor Program Signup ->
Interests and Expertise
CVM Mentor Program Overview:
The Mentor Program provides an opportunity for first year doctor of veterinary medicine students to develop their professional skills outside of the classroom and begin to build a professional network.
Students and mentors are matched based on mutual interests and mentors' expertise. Mentoring pairs create individualized action plans which help student with career exploration, experiential learning, networking and skill building. The mentor-student relationship is informal with monthly contact by phone, email, or in-person. It is also a great way for alumni and friends to connect with the college as well as current and future professionals in their field.
The time commitment is approximately two meaningful contacts per month, from October through April, via phone, email or in-person meetings. Additionally, there is a Mentor Kick off event 7 p.m., Wednesday, October 16 in the Ben Pomeroy Student Alumni Learning Center.
New Mentor Registration Instructions:
- Read the Program Overview and Guidelines for Mentor/Student Relationship below.
- Indicate whether or not you want to mentor (located below Guidelines) and sign the document electronically.
- Fill out the following form and click “submit” to complete your profile.
If you selected that you would like to mentor, you will be included in the mentor pool and contacted in September with additional information. Thank you.
Guidelines for the Mentor/Student Relationship:
- Attendance at the Mentor Kick-Off event is highly recommended. Mentor Kickoff is Wednesday, October 16th at 7 p.m., Ben Pomeroy Student -Alumni Learning Center. This event provides an opportunity to meet your student and other mentors and to learn about the program.
- Expected time commitment is 2 meaningful contacts per month. This can be achieved via email, phone conversations, meeting for coffee, Skype, etc.
- Establish goals for the mentor relationship.
- Determine early in the year if your student is interested in job shadowing you or one of your colleagues. Attempt to set up shadowing as early as possible.
- Contact your student and the Mentor Program (612-624-1247) if circumstances require you to discontinue your participation or if your student has not maintained contact.
- The mentor relationship should comply with the professional code of conduct. Please return phone calls or emails in a timely manner.
By completing this form, I indicate my willingness to mentor a veterinary student for the 2013-14 academic year (from October 2013 through April 2014). I have read the above guidelines and understand my responsibilities as a mentor. I understand that I will receive more information about the student at or before the Mentor Kick-Off event.
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Best time/place/method (voice mail, email, etc.) to reach you:
I give you my permission to share my contact information with mentors and students in this program.
Have you participated in the CVM Mentor Program before?
Are you an alumnus of the U of MN College of Veterinary Medicine?
Highest degree completed